Monday, May 27, 2013

Dr. Edward Peters on the BSA membership policy change

Dr. Edward Peters, an expert in Canon Law, has written a post on thoughts Catholics affected by the Boy Scouts of America's  decision to allow membership to boys regardless of sexual preference or orientation. He notes that a ban on the basis of same-sex attraction alone for an organization like the BSA is "difficult to argue," and that the BSA's new policy seems to be as close to Catholic teaching as could be expected for a secular organization.

I support the new policy, and I think it is more in-line with Catholic teaching, not to mention just being more plainly sensible and compassionate, than the old policy, which was rather oddly worded, if not wrong-headed. The old policy prohibited youth who were "openly or avowedly homosexual." Honestly, I think growing up with same-sex attraction is tough enough without worrying about getting kicked out of Scouts if a kid makes a mistake.

A number of parents and others are upset about the change. I'm sure there are worries about the BSA becoming like the Canadian scouts, an organization that actually openly endorses a gay lifestyle. However, as Peters notes, the BSA is trying to keep their organization out of sexual matters altogether. The statement that went along with the resolution read, "Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether homosexual or heterosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting." If this policy is actually implemented at the local level, we've got an organization that encourages youth to be chaste. I really fail to see how it can be contended that this is something Catholics can't get behind. The resolution also noted that Scouting should not be used to "promote or advance any social or political position or agenda," aside from, I presume, Scouting's basic ideals of duty to God and country; if this resolution is carried out, there will be little grounds to worry about Scouting becoming a platform for what some call "the gay agenda." (I'm not saying there's no agenda; sure, there are plenty of agendas, everybody's got an agenda, but I'm really not a fan of this kind of sensationalist language)

I'm still behind the BSA's program, even more than I was previously, and I'm continually proud to be an Eagle scout. While I can make no calls about the future of the Scouting movement, I feel confident in supporting this resolution and the BSA's program as it is right now. I hope Dr. Peters' opinion will sway the opinions of traditionalists with reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment